Visiting Kozani is like travelling back in time: 20-million-year-old petrified tree trunks can be seen in Kastanohoria, Skalohori and Damaskinia, fossilized vertebrates in Tsotili and Neapoli, revealing monuments from the Bronze Age, cemeteries from the Iron Age, archaic towns such as Aiani, settlements from the Hellenistic and Roman ages. Visit the archaeological sites of Aiani and Pontokomi, the medieval castle in Serbia and take a trip to Kozani during the Carnival.
The area is also known for its typical architectural style, for example the manor houses of Siatista, Eratira, Vlasti and Tsotili.
- Batzios (type of cheese)
- Manouri (type of cheese)
- Touloumotiri (type of cheese)
- Sisani beans
- Polimilos potatoes
- Eordea apples
- Chestnuts and hazelnuts
- Velventos jams
- Tsipouro (drink made from distilled grape marc)
- The town of Kozani and its old manors especially during the Carnival
- Kozani archaeological museum
- The archaeological site of Eani
- The aqueduct lake of Polifitos and Velventos
- Perdika's small museum with the prehistorical elephant bones
- Villages: Vlasti, Katafigi, Pentalofos
The flavours and aromas are unforgettable in every corner of Kozani. Meats, cured meats, cheeses, pasta, pulses, mushrooms, chestnuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, Velventos spoon sweets and jams, Polimilos potatoes, Eordea apples, Velventos peaches, tsipouro and wine.
One of the major incomes of the area derives from the cultivation of the Kozani saffron. It is a precious spice, known from the Homeric Ages and the Old Testament, with therapeutical and aphrodisiac properties, used in cooking, baking, medicine and cosmetology.
Famous wines from Siatista, Pelekanos, Kozani, Velventos.
Tsipouro is made from double distillation of grape marc and a celebration accompanies its making.
Don't forget to try homemade pies (leek, onion, nettle, minced meat), beans, rice with apples, sheep and potato casserole, giaprakia, boubari.
|There are currently no requests available!|
- Canned Food
- Dairy Products
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Honey and Sweets
- Nuts ,Kernels and Dried Fruits
- Olive Oil, Olives and Cooking Oil
- Ready Meals
- Rice and Pulses
- Sauce and Condiments
- Seafood and Fish Products
- Snacks and Bakery
- Spices, Herbs
- Traditional Greek Sweets
- Water and Non-alcoholic Beverages
- Wine, Beer and Spirits