Serenely floating in the North of the Aegean Sea, Limnos is a destination for a peaceful holiday in close contact with nature. Sheltered gulfs, extensive beaches and landscapes of volcanic rocks, alternate with small hills and traditional villages of stone houses. The volcanic island of Hephaestus, god of fire, lends its fertility to fruitful plains, which the locals make the best of by producing goods of unique taste and excellent quality.
Next to Limnos is Agios Efstratios, a small island, ideal for a calm vacation amongst unspoiled nature. The landscape consists of beautiful beaches, sea caves, rare geological formations (due to the volcanic rock) and Oak forests. For this reason, the island along with the surrounding coastal region has been included in the European "Natura 2000" network.
- Kalathaki cheese
- Melihloro (type of cheese)
- Kaskavali (type of cheese)
- Limnos rusks
- Thyme honey
- Flomaria (type of local pasta)
- Spoon sweets
- Agios Efstratios broad beans
- Mirina and its stone-built mansions
- Poliochni archaeological site
- Kavirian Sanctuary and the Cave of Filoktitis
- The archaeological site of Hephaestia
- Sand dunes in Gomati
- The little church of Panagia Kakkaviotisa
- Beaches: Makris Gialos, Gomati, Agios Ioannis, Fanaraki, Keros, Agios Efstratios island
Limnos is known for the renowned Muscat of Limnos, a Designation of Origin of Superior Quality sweet white wine with golden colour, rich aroma and full taste, and the cheese kalathaki a type of white cheese that is left to dry and mature in small straw baskets, as well as its delicious yellowish version called melihloro. The tasteful thyme honey and the fresh fish are also some of the great gifts of nature.
Try kaskavali and flomaria (local homemade pasta), rusks, halvas, loukoumia, venizelika (sweet with walnuts and chocolate), samsades (sweets with sesame), spoon sweets (orange, quince, grape, cherry tomato, tsagalo – type of almond).
Local dishes include: kehayiadiko (lamb in filo pastry), snails with flomaria (pasta), rooster in wine sauce, flomaria with octopus in tomato sauce.
When in Agios Efstratios try the local cheese, broad beans and sweet acorns.
|There are currently no requests available!|
- Canned Food
- Dairy Products
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Honey and Sweets
- Nuts ,Kernels and Dried Fruits
- Olive Oil, Olives and Cooking Oil
- Ready Meals
- Rice and Pulses
- Sauce and Condiments
- Seafood and Fish Products
- Snacks and Bakery
- Spices, Herbs
- Traditional Greek Sweets
- Water and Non-alcoholic Beverages
- Wine, Beer and Spirits