Serres is an area that charms its visitors with many different destinations such as Agios Ioannis, Agioi Anargiri valley, Lailias mountain with its dense forests and ski centre, lake Kerkini full of fresh fish, Ano Poria with its mountainous climate and fresh trout, Alistrati and its known cave, Aggiti river gorge and Agistro thermal springs.
There are also many significant archaeological and historical sites; the castle and the Bezesteni in Serres town, Amfipolis, the monastery of Ioannis Prodromos, the monastery of Eikosifinissis, the monastery of Agia Kiriaki Alistrati, the fortresses along the Greek-Bulgarian boarderline on Beles mountain range.
- Serres akanes (biscuit made from butter)
- Buffalo products (dairy and meat)
- Vrondous potatoes
- Orini beans
- Tzoumagia sausages
- Kerkini kavourma
- Serres castle, Bezesteni archaeological museum and Agios Ioannis
- Serres archaeological museum
- Amfipolis archaeological museum
- The wetland of Kerkini lake
- Alistrati cave
- Lailia ski centre
- The Monastery of Panagia Eikosifinissas
- The monastery of Timios Prodromos
- Agistro thermal springs
- Roupel fortress
- Trout farm in Promachonas
Serres is known for its local cuisine and traditional products. Orini beans, tomatoes, Vrondous potatoes, local meats and cured meats are known throughout Greece. Try the Iraklia or Tzoumagia sausages and Kerkini kavourma made from buffalo meat or veal. In many areas one can try fresh trout. Spiroulina (type of seaweed), food of astronauts, is cultivated in Nigrita.
Serres also produces excellent wines, many of which are organic. Try various desserts such as touloumbaki, akanes (type of almond biscuit made from butter) and bougatsa (filo pastry filled with cream).
A gastronomy festival takes place every year.
|There are currently no requests available!|
- Canned Food
- Dairy Products
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Honey and Sweets
- Nuts ,Kernels and Dried Fruits
- Olive Oil, Olives and Cooking Oil
- Ready Meals
- Rice and Pulses
- Sauce and Condiments
- Seafood and Fish Products
- Snacks and Bakery
- Spices, Herbs
- Traditional Greek Sweets
- Water and Non-alcoholic Beverages
- Wine, Beer and Spirits